Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blog Post # 7

The Last Lecture



I would first like to say that Randy Pausch was an incredibly inspirational man. He knows that he is dying from cancer and still has a better attitude than most anyone that I know. Most people in his situation would not be nearly so energetic or generally happy as he is. I love that he was using the time he had left to get out there and inspire people.

The way that he went through his childhood dreams one by one and explained how he managed to acheive them all was inspiring. I liked what he said, "the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it enough". He certainly didn't let anything stop him!

 His "head fake" strategy, teaching someone something while they think that they are learning something else, is an interesting one. I agree with what he says, that most of what we learn is learned indirectly. His program uses this to teach students to use complex computer programing while they think that they are creating a game or a movie. This lecture was sort of a head fake in itself, at least for me. I thought it was going to be another lecture about why technology should be in the classroom or something along those lines. It ended up being more about how to live life and be a better person. He encourages you to be creative and earnest, to dream, to take criticism and cherish it, and to try and find the good side of everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen,
    I personally enjoyed watching Randy Pausch video. I agree that he has a great attitude about everything. He does not let the fact that he has cancer bring him down. Mr. Pausch has a great outlook on life and he was making the best out of the time he had left. I like how you pointed out that we should find the good side of everyone. Like Randy Pausch said, "No one is all evil because everyone has a good side."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy Pauch's Last Speech truly is an inspiration and a great guide in how to be a good educator.

    ReplyDelete