Friday, January 21, 2011

Blog Post #1

Our first blog is supposed to tell a little about ourselves, so here we go: 


My name is Kristen Whitehurst. I was born in Mobile, Alabama and have lived in Grand Bay, Alabama, a small town nearby, ever since. I am the oldest of two girls; my younger sister's name is Emily and is five years younger than me. A few of my interests are reading, particularly historical books, listening to music, and spending time with family and friends. I am a lefty, a neat freak, have never been into sports of any kind, incredibly clumsy and usually very shy until I get to know you. 


I came to USA because I love where I live and being near my family. I really couldn't see myself moving away for college. I am in my second year here at South and am double majoring in secondary education and social sciences. 


Why did I chose to be a teacher? As a kid, I remember telling everyone that I was going to be an artist or a teacher. Turns out I have little artistic skill, but I have always kept the idea of teaching in the back of my head. I first thought of being an elementary teacher, because I love spending time with younger kids, but eventually I decided to go for secondary. When I started here I was planning to teach Literature because I have always loved reading, but I changed it to Social Sciences after my first year when I realized that I was more interested in my history classes than in my English classes. 


So that's a little about me. I look forward getting to know my classmates, professors and our assistant professors this semester. I am sure that I will be bugging you all for help! 



3 comments:

  1. Hey Kristen! We finally have a class together! Let me know if you would like to tackle any of the projects together. I didnt know who you were until he was going over the pics and i was like hey I know that name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I encourage you to bug us-- it's the best way for us to get to know you! I love history and english too. I can see why you struggled to decide at first.

    Look forward to reading more!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete